OpSource Cloud Software
OpSource Cloud Software is commercial software loaded onto a Cloud Server as an operating system (OS) image that incurs additional charges when deployed as a server. This software can be software installed on the OS image or it can be part of the OS image itself. OpSource Cloud Software is priced hourly or monthly and provides the same Pay-for-Use flexibility of using Cloud Servers and Cloud Files.
OpSource Cloud Software includes:
- Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2
Price: $0.66 per hour per server
Learn more about using Microsoft SQL Server in the OpSource Cloud.
Benefits of OpSource Cloud Software
OpSource Cloud Software enables developers to setup testing and development or full production environments more easily without the cost of a perpetual software license. OpSource's Cloud Software benefits include:
- No perpetual software license
- Hourly or monthly pricing
- Tested vendor integration
- No vendor lock-in
- Easy implementation of commercial software
- Customizable CPU and RAM to tune each Cloud Server to optimize application performance
- 24x7 phone support for no extra charge
- Support of OpSource Community and online resources
- Flexibility to support per CPU or per Server pricing by the hour, depending upon vendor's licensing requirements.
How to Use OpSource Cloud Software
OpSource Cloud Software availabe to load on a Cloud Server is identified on the OS Image underneath the OS image description: Simply look for "Priced Software" underneath the OS image description, and click on the image to install on your Cloud Server.
Charges for hourly Cloud Software are calculated using Software Units that are associated with each Cloud Software package. Cloud Software packages incur Software Units based on one of two models:
- Per Server Cloud Software incurs a specific rate of Software Units per hour when a server is running and a specific rate per hour when a server is stopped. This hourly rate is the same regardless of the number of CPU’s configured on the server.
- Example: Per Server Cloud Software with a rate of 50 units per hour when the server is running and 25 units per hour when the server is stopped. If a 2 CPU Server is deployed in a running state for 2 hours and a stopped state for 1 hour, it will incur 125 software units (50 units x 2 hours running + 25 units x 1 hour stopped)
- Per CPU Cloud Software incurs a specific rate of Software Units per hour per CPU when a server is running and a specific rate per hour per CPU when a server is stopped. In this case the overall rate varies based on the number of CPU associated with the server on which the Cloud Software is deployed.
- Example: Per CPU Cloud Software with a rate of 50 units per hour when the server is running and 25 units per hour when the server is stopped. If a 2 CPU Server is deployed in a running state for 2 hours and a stopped state for 1 hour, it will incur 250 software units (50 units x 2 CPU x 2 hours running + 25 units x 2 CPU x 1 hour stopped)
Software Unit charges are only incurred on servers deployed from Images contaning Cloud Software. Customer Images created from a Virtual Server with Cloud Software will not incur charges. However, servers created from such Customer Images will incur the same charges. If multiple Cloud Software packages are associated with a given Cloud Server or Cloud Image, the Software Units for each Cloud Software package are incurred.
Learn more by visiting our Community blog post on OpSource Priced Software.